Sunday, February 10, 2008

Birding and Blogging.. !!!!

It’s been a long long time since I last published any post on my Blog. And if I ask myself Why? I don’t find an answer to it. No, My love for wildlife has not curtailed. Tigers are still the first love of my life. My last trip to any National Park was in October when the Bandhavgarh National Park re-opened after monsoons. It’s been 4 months since I last saw the majestic cat in the Wild. And it’s been 3 months since I last wrote an entry here.

What was I upto all these days.. ?? I don’t have much work but whatever work I have keeps me busy all day. In these three months I have witnessed lots and lots of things. Gone Birding to Dumna Nature Reserve in Jabalpur, Trekking at Village Sarrai, near Jabalpur (Not exactly, Kind of :p), And the worst part was to see a sad end to a very very precious life. When a Tiger Cub took its last breath in Government Veterinary College at Jabalpur after being rushed for treatment from Bandhavgarh National Park.


Birding may be a new passion for me. But I seem to be falling in love with Birds. Dumna Nature Reserve, though not a very big forest area has a lot to offer to Wildlife lovers. Chital(Spotted Deer), Mongoose, Langurs, Rhesus Monkey, Jungle Cats and if you’re lucky you might come across a Leopard. Magpie Robin, Drongo, Asian Koel, Alexandrine Parakeet (The common parrot), Rose-ringed Parakeet, Plum-headed Parakeet, Spotted Owlet, Peafowls, Bee-eaters, Kingfishers and Indian Rollers are a few birds to name. Not very far away from the city, Dumna gets many visitors. I mean the Migratory Birds. And what better season than winters to see them glide over the lake in Dumna. The local and the visiting birds makes this place worth exploring.

It’s always a sad feeling to hear about Tiger deaths. Though not a poaching case this time, A Two month old cub was admitted to the Government Veterinary College, Jabalpur ailing from severe pneumonia and gaestroentitis. After being separated from it’s mother, this cub was found in a very critical condition. The body temperature was above normal and the cub was vomiting. A team of several doctors gave their best to save it’s life. The cub was also kept in incubator and was attended 24 hours a day. Despite all efforts the Cub died on 25th December 2007.



Saving a Life....
Rahul Jain, A Farmer by profession and a very dear friend, found a Pariah Kite/Black Kite on the terrace of his house after being injured in a clash. The poor bird had wounded its right wing and was not able to move. The Bird was in a furious mood and was not letting anyone come near itself. After a little trouble the bird was carefully placed in a box and was taken to the Government Veterinary College for treatment. From where the Bird was released after recovering. Pariah Kite undergoing treatment in Govt. Vet. College.

Planning a Wildlife Tour

Planning a wildlife safari in India? Confused from where to start? Search engines are loaded with information about planning safaris, book...